Crowning Moment of Awesome.
Simon Pegg & Benedict Cumberbatch
x & x
These two. THESE TWO.
Star Trek spoilers!
problem-solving with Courtney!
Oh man, I feel absolved.
Also, TOTALLY GOING TO WRITE THIS.
I feel like I’ve seen a Disney character make exactly the same face. Just can’t place it.
American Talk: The Wrath Of Cumberbatch
Someone please petition for Josh Horowitz to be Cumberbatch’s official interviewer. The results are always hysterical.
Some general thoughts on Star Trek Into Darkness…
- Full of humor and humanity and absolutely impeccable timing, Pine continues to be a better Kirk than Shatner ever was. No, I will not apologize for this opinion.
- Quinto finally sold me on something beyond “live long and fuck off.” Glory glory, hallelujah.
- I’d hoped all the reviews claiming that Cumberbatch steals every scene he’s in were exaggerating, since I love these characters and this ensemble just as much as I love him as an actor, but… well, they’re not wrong. Folks who aren’t familiar with his work will leave the theater going “who the hell was that?” and folks who know his work well, and have become accustomed to seeing him as a quintessentially cerebral actor, will be taken aback by his sheer physicality. It’s brutal, even feral, but always clearly fueled by the character’s cause. So, so impressive.
- The parallels drawn between Kirk and Harrison could’ve been heavyhanded as hell, but Pine and Cumberbatch play them (and off each other) beautifully. I love that the movie seems to be telling us that they’re both motivated by motivation itself — exactly what each of them will do, exactly what lengths they’ll go to, in order to preserve and protect what they hold dear.
- The Kirk and Spock relationship has evolved in pleasantly surprising ways, and it’s interesting to see both of them absorb aspects of the other until they’re on more even footing. Kirk/Spock shippers will be appeased.
- Kirk/Bones shippers will be ecstatic.
- Kirk/Harrison shippers will be COMING OUT OF THE WOODWORK. Holy freaking foeyay, Batman.
- COME TO ME, LENS FLARES. I’VE MISSED YOU SO.
More character (and slightly spoilery) things under the cut. Overall, though, I’m pretty damn satisfied.
Read More »
(I have never, ever said that before. Ever. WHAT ARE YOU TWO DOING TO ME.)